DISCLOSURE:

Several affiliate links are used in my posts. This means that, if you click on one of my links and make a purchase from that company, I will receive a small percentage of the sale without any additional charge. I appreciate your support greatly.

Saturday, August 22, 2026

How to Create an Ocean-Themed Octopus Card with Colored Cardstock

There’s something about creating an underwater scene that makes paper crafting extra fun! From colorful sea life to layers of rolling waves, ocean-themed cards are perfect for playing with color, texture, and dimension.

Hi, I’m Carrianne, and today I’m sharing a playful ocean-themed card featuring an adorable octopus and a whole lot of underwater fun!

For this card, I used CutCardStock colored cardstock to create the various elements of my ocean scene. I love how using different cardstock colors can instantly add personality and dimension to a project while keeping the look bright and cohesive.

The octopus is the star of the card, surrounded by layered waves and underwater details. I used a combination of flat layers and dimensional elements to give the scene some depth and make the different pieces feel like they're moving through the water.

Creating with Color

One of my favorite things about working with colored cardstock is that it allows me to build a scene almost like putting together a puzzle. Each die-cut piece brings another color and layer to the design.

For the ocean, I used multiple shades to create variation throughout the waves. Layering the different blues gives the water more movement and keeps the background from looking flat.

I also added pops of color throughout the underwater elements to create contrast and draw attention to the octopus.

Adding Dimension

To bring the scene to life, I incorporated different levels of dimension throughout the card. Some pieces are adhered directly to the background, while others are raised with foam adhesive.

I especially love using this technique on scene cards because even small amounts of dimension can make the finished design feel much more dynamic.

A Fun Ocean Adventure

This card was such a fun project to create! The combination of bright cardstock, layered die cuts, textured waves, and an adorable octopus makes for a cheerful underwater scene that is sure to make someone smile.

CutCardStock cardstock made it easy to create all of the colorful layers while keeping the die cuts crisp and sturdy.

Want to see all the cardstock details, supplies, and step-by-step instructions for creating this ocean-themed card? Head over to the CutCardStock blog, where you'll find the complete tutorial and all the details for recreating this playful underwater scene.

Happy crafting! 


CHALLENGES:

SSS Monday Challenge - On/Under the Sea 

Word Art Wednesday - #766-767 

Double Trouble - #223 Thing 1, 2 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Have a great rest of your day!